Are you interested in learning how to play power chords on the guitar? Then you've come to the right place. This course will teach you how to play power chords on the guitar and give you 20 exercises to practice them. You'll be playing power chords based off the 6th, 5th and 4th string along with 3 exercises in drop D tuning. Each exercise has the guitar tablature right in the video which makes it very easy to follow along. The exercises are designed for beginners through intermediate guitar players. You will not only learn how to play power chords you will also learn about playing rhythm guitar.
Learning to play power chords well is essential for every guitar player.
What will you learn in this lesson?
- You will learn what power chords are
- How to play power chords based on the 6th string
- How to play power chords based on the 5th string
- How to play power chords based on the 4th string
- How to play power chords in drop D tuning
- You will learn how to read and play 20 guitar rhythms in this course.
What charts are included in this course?
- Notes on the guitar neck PDF
- Power Chord Workout for Guitar Part 1 PDF (the tab for the exercises)
- Power Chord Workout for Guitar Part 2 PDF (the tab for the exercises)
- Power chords chart (PDF)
Why should you sign up for my lesson?
- My name is Chris Rupp and I'm the founder of the GuitArmy.
- I've been teaching guitar full time for over 19 years.
- I have taught more than 35,000 individual private guitar lessons.
- I teach guitar students online all over the world.
- I have a Bachelor of Music degree from the world renowned Berklee College of Music where I studied with some of the best guitar players on earth.
- I created a successful line of guitar instruction DVDs that sold very well and garnered the attention of the "As Seen on TV" folks.
- I love teaching guitar and helping students become better musicians through the guitar.
- I will answer your personal questions and help you with learning the material in this lesson.
Why should I take your class and not just learn from YouTube?
You can try to learn guitar from YouTube but eventually you'll figure out there's so many videos out there is very hard to put the information together in a coherent way. I have students come to me all the time that are tired of watching random guitar videos on YouTube and don't know how to put the information together. The GuitArmy's guitar courses are more organized to systematically improve your skills on guitar.
Learn on Demand
Download and watch our courses offline with your phone or tablet whenever and wherever you want.
You can download our courses to your desktop, laptop, or get the Apple or Andoid app for Teachable and take your course with you.
Chris is hands down the best guitar teacher that I have worked with over the past 20 years of playing. I have been taking Skype lessons with him over the past few months and my playing has progressed tremendously. The secret to Chris' success is that he understands music theory so well that he can help you apply meaningful theory based techniques without overwhelming you with details. However, if details are your thing don't hesitate to drill in deeper with him. Also, Chris goes above and beyond to ensure my time in between lessons will be productive and enjoyable. Finally, and maybe most importantly, Chris is fun to learn with and I don't recall a lesson where we weren't laughing out loud about something. I like Skype Guitar Lessons for the convenience, but GuitArmy and Chris will keep me hooked on the concept for many months to come.
- Mark Stegura
I'm a working professional, and have been taking guitar lessons with Chris for several year now. My understanding of the guitar, and ability to play have improved dramatically ever since I've taken classes with Chris. Chris is extremely knowledgeable about the instrument, and his accessible style of teaching make learning a true pleasure. Chris also works very hard to fit lessons into my schedule - which has been absolutely wonderful. I look forward to continuing my lessons with Chris for many years to come.
Student Testimonial (Beginner Guitar Lessons - 10 Lessons)
Hi Chris, thanks so much for reaching out! I'm about half way through lesson 10 of your Beginner lessons via GuitArmy, so I was researching more of your teaching, and what's next... and found your GuitArmy! I've gotta tell ya, something about your explanations, your method of teaching, and the detailed resources provided, you've connected so many dots for me -- it's appreciated beyond words! I'm mostly self-taught, regret that I started so late in life, and have tried other online resources, but yours has been the most comprehensive! As a corporate facilitator to adult learners myself, I just wanted to express my gratitude!
I've always wanted to learn the guitar but I couldn't commit to actually driving to and attending a class every week. Chris makes it so easy and convenient with the Skype lessons. He's a great instructor and I'm learning so quickly! My goal is to learn Hotel California in six months and with GuitArmy, I have no doubt that I will.
My name is Chris Rupp and I'm a guitar instructor and founder of GuitArmy. I am currently teaching live Zoom lessons to students all over the world and creating online guitar courses. I'm a Berklee College of Music graduate and have been teaching guitar full time for over 22 years. I have taught more than 35,000 individual guitar lessons and have more than 30,000 students that have taken my online courses.