I created this course because I know that many beginner and intermediate guitar players often wonder what chords go with what keys. My private students on many occasions would ask me "what chords go together?". This course is going to answer those questions for you when it comes to writing in a minor key.
Learning what chords go with what minor keys will be very helpful for your rhythm, lead, and songwriting abilitly.
What will you learn in this lesson?
- Diatonic chords in A minor and you get a chord chart that shows you the diatonic chords in all 12 keys
- Music theory behind diatonic chords
- How to play the diatonic chords in A minor
- How to create a chord progression in a minor key
- How to play several chord progressions I create for you
- Learn about secondary dominants
- I show you how I use my custom diatonic chord chart in A minor to easily create some chord progressions
Charts you get with this class:
- Diatonic chords for Aeolian (minor) PDF
- Diatonic chords for Ionian (major - just throwing this in for fun) PDF
- Common open chords PDF
- 6th string barre chords PDF
- 5th string barre chords PDF
- Writing a chord progression worksheet PDF
- 12 bar blues in a guitar tab PDF
Why should you sign up for my lesson?
- My name is Chris Rupp and I'm the founder of the GuitArmy.
- I've been teaching guitar full time for over 20 years.
- I have taught more than 35,000 individual private guitar lessons.
- I teach guitar students online all over the world.
- I have a bachelors of music degree from the world renowned Berklee College of Music where I studied with some of the best guitar players on earth.
- I created a successful line of guitar instruction DVDs that sold very well and garnered the attention of the "As Seen on TV" folks.
- I love teaching guitar and helping students become better musicians through the guitar.
- I will answer your personal questions and help you with learning the material in this lesson.
Why should I take your class and not just learn from YouTube?
You can try to learn guitar from YouTube but eventually you'll figure out there's so many videos out there it is very hard to put the information together in a coherent way. I have students come to me all the time that are tired of watching random guitar videos on YouTube and don't know how to put the information together. I have a whole series of courses here on Skillshare that will help you get down the basic skills for guitar. You will learn everything from one teacher and not random people on YouTube. I think you will find it to be a much better learning experience.
Learn on Demand
Download and watch our courses offline with your phone or tablet whenever and wherever you want.
You can download our courses to your desktop, laptop, or get the Apple or Andoid app for Teachable and take your course with you.
Chris is hands down the best guitar teacher that I have worked with over the past 20 years of playing. I have been taking Skype lessons with him over the past few months and my playing has progressed tremendously. The secret to Chris' success is that he understands music theory so well that he can help you apply meaningful theory based techniques without overwhelming you with details. However, if details are your thing don't hesitate to drill in deeper with him. Also, Chris goes above and beyond to ensure my time in between lessons will be productive and enjoyable. Finally, and maybe most importantly, Chris is fun to learn with and I don't recall a lesson where we weren't laughing out loud about something. I like Skype Guitar Lessons for the convenience, but GuitArmy and Chris will keep me hooked on the concept for many months to come.
- Mark Stegura
I'm a working professional, and have been taking guitar lessons with Chris for several year now. My understanding of the guitar, and ability to play have improved dramatically ever since I've taken classes with Chris. Chris is extremely knowledgeable about the instrument, and his accessible style of teaching make learning a true pleasure. Chris also works very hard to fit lessons into my schedule - which has been absolutely wonderful. I look forward to continuing my lessons with Chris for many years to come.
Student Testimonial (Beginner Guitar Lessons - 10 Lessons)
Hi Chris, thanks so much for reaching out! I'm about half way through lesson 10 of your Beginner lessons via GuitArmy, so I was researching more of your teaching, and what's next... and found your GuitArmy! I've gotta tell ya, something about your explanations, your method of teaching, and the detailed resources provided, you've connected so many dots for me -- it's appreciated beyond words! I'm mostly self-taught, regret that I started so late in life, and have tried other online resources, but yours has been the most comprehensive! As a corporate facilitator to adult learners myself, I just wanted to express my gratitude!
I've always wanted to learn the guitar but I couldn't commit to actually driving to and attending a class every week. Chris makes it so easy and convenient with the Skype lessons. He's a great instructor and I'm learning so quickly! My goal is to learn Hotel California in six months and with GuitArmy, I have no doubt that I will.
My name is Chris Rupp and I'm a guitar instructor and founder of GuitArmy. I am currently teaching live Zoom lessons to students all over the world and creating online guitar courses. I'm a Berklee College of Music graduate and have been teaching guitar full time for over 22 years. I have taught more than 35,000 individual guitar lessons and have more than 30,000 students that have taken my online courses.